Sunday, November 21, 2010

Unique New York

Hello from New York!


This has been the first week of my first big client project at ThoughtWorks. It has been quite "interesting" and "educational" to use vague terms. Since we are not allowed to discuss anything about our project, I will give you a frame of reference. It feels a bit like this at the moment:





Project work has been challenging in learning about the massive candy mountain application we are building. When I say massive, I mean lose your kidney kind of massive.  Well, at least compared to Chronicles at TWU.


But it's not really that bad, I've definitely had a much harder time with doing my laundry compared to this project. And I'm not exaggerating. Here were the steps I took today to do laundry:


1) Buy detergent and acquire quarters, because well I assume when you do laundry you need quarters.
2) Bring pile of clothes down to the basement of my building.
3) Find a washing machine to put said acquired quarters in.
4) Realize you cannot put quarters into these machines. However, there is a slot for a card and instructions for inserting debit card.
5) Run upstairs to get debit card.
6) Come back downstairs and try inserting debit card and fail.
7) Realize that washing machines do not take debit card and that there is a machine where you can buy a special card to be used in the washing machines.
8) Realize that this machine does not take card, only cash.
9) Realize I have no cash and run to the ATM to get cash.
10) Come back to the apartment, drop off cash and bring $10 bill with me.
11) Go to the laundry room to insert cash into the machine.
12) The machine tells me it does not want $10 bill, only $5 bill.
13) Run upstairs to get $5 bill.
14) Come back to the laundry room and insert $5 into machine. Finally get my card \o/
15) Load laundry into washing machine, try to insert card, washing machine rejects card because there is $0 on the card.
16) Realize that $5 only bought the card, not actually put $5 on the card.
17) Go to the machine and put $10 on the card.
18) Come back to the washing machine and insert the card, finally starting the load of laundry.


Lesson learned, do not do laundry in NYC.

1 comment:

  1. $15 for a load of laundry. What a deal. : )

    How is your apartment??

    ReplyDelete